The first seeds of Scarff’s Nursery were planted before the turn of the last century, and the business has endured in the family throughout the 1900’s over five generations. In 1881, J.J. Scarff planted a quarter acre of blackberries and sold the fruit. His son, W.N., began to work his own corner of the fruit farm a few years later and sold the plants themselves, thus beginning the legacy of nurserymen in the Scarff family. W.N. built the business to a national reputation and passed it on to his sons, grandsons and great-grandsons.
Many of the buildings and landmarks of those years remain. The seed company operated out of what was the Tecumseh YMCA. Fruit was sold from the building that still stands on the southeast corner of the intersection of U.S. 40 and S.R. 235. The orchard grew on the original Scarff homestead that was settled by J.J.’s father, south of U.S. 40 on the west side of S.R. 235. The nursery operation continues in its original location, and still includes that first quarter acre that was planted in blackberries.
Today, after 130 years, Scarff’s Nursery is still a family-owned wholesale nursery located in New Carlisle, Ohio. Presently growing B&B and container nursery stock on approximately 600 acres, we make available everything from evergreen shrubs to shade trees, ornamental trees and perennials. We are blessed with well drained, fertile soils and an abundant water supply to provide excellent growing conditions here in west central Ohio.